|Article Type||Author||Publication Date||Links||Description|
Square Dancing is an overwhelmingly social activity. Therefore, it is essential that square dance groups create a social environment that feels welcoming, engaging, and safe. Events in recent years have caused shifts in social norms that raise questions about what “welcoming, engaging, and safe” actually means. CALLERLAB has acted to provide guidance in this area. The result is two documents, one providing an overview of objectives and a handbook of procedures, and a second containing a template process that clubs could adapt for handling instances of inappropriate behavior. Click on the button below to see an abstract of the document contents.
In the spring of 2018, the CALLERLAB Board of Governors updated the CALLERLAB Code of Ethics to include the following item:
5. Provide a safe and welcoming environment for all. I am committed to providing an environment free from sexual and other forms of harassment or bullying without bias based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability, and always be respectful of the hearts and spirits of others.
Expanding on this commitment, it is our goal for all participants to have a pleasant social experience while attending square dance events. In support of this goal, CALLERLAB will provide its members and the greater square dance community with guidelines, information, and educational opportunities to assist them in preventing, recognizing, addressing,and eliminating inappropriate behavior. In addition to the documents listed below, look for additional educational opportunities such as large group presentations, small group discussions at the CALLERLAB Conventions, and Articles in Direction.
Please refer to the Welcoming Dance Environment CALLERLAB Handbook for Organization Leaders and Callers for information about the following topics.
- Definitions of Harassment and Other Inappropriate Behavior
- Enhancing Caller Awareness
- Teaching Dancers about Appropriate Behavior
Please refer to the Welcoming Dance Environment CALLERLAB Handbook for Dancers for information about the following topics.
- Appropriate Dancer Behavior
- Defensive Dancing
- Helping Create a Safe, Secure, and Welcoming Environment
Please refer to the Welcoming Dance Environment Organization Guidelines for Dealing with Inappropriate Behavior for a draft Club or Organization Policy with specific information about the following topics.
- When and How to Make a Report
- Guidelines for Taking a Report and Addressing a Complaint
- Inappropriate Behavior Complaint Form